Horizon SCR Instructor Program
This program is the first step of semi-closed rebreather instructor training, providing the skills and knowledge you need to organise and conduct the SCR Diver course.
Get certified to teach divers to conduct no-decompression dives up to a maximum depth of 30 metres using the Mares Horizon SCR.
Train rebreather divers and enjoy the best scuba job for technical instructors.
Start the SSI SCR Diving Instructor certification online today!
This program certifies the candidate as an SCR Diving Instructor, provides the knowledge and experience required to independently teach and conduct dives to a maximum depth of 30 metres using the Horizon SCR unit, SSI training techniques and SCR skills.
- 50 total SCR dives on the Mares Horizon
- 30 SCR dives deeper than 25 metres
- 50 hours of runtime on the Mares Horizon
Have the following SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognised training agency:
Have the following active status SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
- Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor
- Deep Diving Instructor
- Diver Stress & Rescue Instructor
Recommended hours for completion: 40.
The number of classes, hours and sessions per day are set by the Instructor Trainer
Requirements For Completion
- Co-teach at least two (2) separate SCR Diving programs under the direct supervision of an active status Horizon SCR Instructor Trainer.
- Attend a three-day seminar and successfully complete;
- A review of all SSI General Training Standards, and the standards related to the XR programs the candidate is earning a certification for.
- A review of the program-specific student and instructor materials.
- The applicable final exams with a passing score of at least 90%.
- An academic presentation on a topic applicable to the program and training level.
- A dive planning session for orientation to the SCR Dive Planning Sheets.
- An equipment configuration session for the appropriate Total Diving System.
- The XR Candidate Water Fitness Evaluation as outlined in the SSI Training Standards if it has been more than six months since the candidate has been evaluated.
- A confined water session that includes the presentation and evaluation of all required program skills.
- All skills must be done with demonstration quality.
- An in-water teaching presentation on a topic applicable to the program and training level.
- While acting as an instructor, plan and conduct at least two full dives from the SCR Diving program.
- Demonstrate the ability to rescue an unconscious diver by bringing the diver to the surface from a depth between 5 and 10 metres.
Active status SCR Diving Instructors may teach, supervise and issue certifications for the following program:
Facts and Training Standards
Max Training Depth
Don't have the MySSI App?
Simply download the MySSI App from your preferred app store, set up your profile, and discover the world of diving.